The last thing you want to deal with is a leaky chimney. But, rest assured, our trusted chimney professionals can pinpoint the cause and fix the issue quickly. It’s important to act on this issue as quickly as possible as it could lead to worse issues down the road. Read on to learn more about chimney leaks, starting with how to spot a leak.
What causes leaks in chimneys?
Just like any part of your house, your chimney is subject to environmental wear and tear. This means any of those big summer rainstorms or winter snowstorms could affect the integrity of your chimney. Even if you notice a small issue, it’s smart to act on it as soon as possible as it may save you hundreds or thousands in the long run. Maintaining regular chimney inspections and sweeps could help with early detection and may even prevent damage from occurring.
There are certain components of your chimney that may be responsible for the leak:
- Roof shingles or chimney flashings: These are around the chimney and if they have any deterioration or gaps, it could lead to leaks.
- Chimney Crown: This is a mortared section at the top of your chimney. It there’s any damage or missing mortar it could lead to leaking.
- No chimney cover: This is an easy fix, but the chimney cover blocks rainwater and could permit a lot of rain if missing or damaged.
- Chimney mortar: Similar to the mud cap, it the mortar joints on the chimney deteriorates, it can leave a clear leak path.
What are some signs you may have a chimney leak?
- Water pooling or residue in the firebox
- Dripping water inside the chimney
- White staining on the exterior bricks (called efflorescence)
- Mold or mildew growth along with a musty smell
- Any visible water stains around the chimney and/or walls
- Cracks in the masonry – this could be a sign that the water leak is causing some structural damage, so call a professional as soon as you may see this.
What to do if you notice a leak?
These signs can come in all levels of severity, but if you notice one or more of these signs, you should give your local chimney professionals at Fluesbrothers Chimney & Fireplace a call. Our professionals are trained to inspect and create a plan to fix any issue they find. To ensure everyone’s safety, it’s best to leave chimney repairs to the professionals as, often times, it requires going onto the roof to diagnose and fix the issue.
Call the Fluesbrothers Chimney & Fireplace for Leaky Chimney Advice
Fluesbrothers Chimney & Fireplace is known as the chimney sweep company in Kansas City. Residents know and trust us as the premium chimney and fireplace services company. We provide qualifications that set us apart from the rest such as training, certification, as well as consistent high-quality service and satisfaction. Everything we do from the first call to the finished project; we make sure you’re 100% satisfied. If you need to get your chimney leak fixed, contact us today at 913-236-7141.