Dryer Vent Cleaning
Many people are under the assumption that the reason for cleaning your dryer vent is just to make the dryer run better, but it is far more important than that; it’s about making the dryer a safe appliance in your home.
Findings from the most recent study done by FEMA:
- An estimated 2,900 clothes dryer fires in residential buildings are reported to U.S. fire departments each year and cause an estimated 5 deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property loss.
- Clothes dryer fire incidence in residential buildings was higher in the fall and winter months, peaking in January at 11 percent. Failure to clean (34 percent) was the leading factor contributing to the ignition of clothes dryer fires in residential buildings.
- Dust, fiber, and lint (28 percent) and clothing not on a person (27 percent) were, by far, the leading items first ignited in clothes dryer fires in residential buildings.
- Fifty-four percent of clothes dryer fires in residential buildings were confined to the object of origin.
As you can clearly see, failure to clean the dryer was, and is, a leading factor for these fires igniting and the leading items that caught on fire was lint, dust and fiber in the dryer vent as well as the clothing in the drum. Making sure your dryer vent is cleaned and you have a dryer that performs up to standard is a great way to keep your family safe.
Why Do Chimney Sweeps Clean Dryer Vents
Cleaning is really very reasonable and we use some of the same equipment cleaning the vent out that we use sweeping a chimney. These high-speed brushes actually sweep the inside of the vent tube while a blower pushes the lint, dust and fiber out the vent opening to the outside.
We also inspect the vent for any damage or routing issues that may cause the lint to bunch or crowd into an area. This happens in elbows and inclines and, if bad enough, might need to be rerouted for continued safety. There are times we also find the vent terminates somewhere other than the outside. This could be an attic, a basement and even in a wall. In these cases we will need to rerun the vent or at least extend the run to the outside.
Signs You May Need to Clean Your Dryer Vent
- You dryer is requiring more than one cycle to dry your clothes.
- You dryer smells hot or musty during or after a cycle.
- You haven’t had your dryer cleaned in over a year (average family of four).
If you are having any of these issues, give us a call and let Fluesbrothers take care of all your dryer vent cleaning needs. Click here to schedule an appointment online.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
For Email Newsletters you can trust.
We Accept Credit Cards
We Offer Financing
*Loans provided by EnerBank USA, Member FDIC, (1245 Brickyard Rd., Suite 600, Salt Lake City, UT 84106) on approved credit, for a limited time. Repayment terms vary from 24 to 132 months. Interest waived if repaid in 365 days. 18.10% fixed APR, effective as of August 1, 2018, subject to change. Interest starts accruing when the loan closes.