Do I Need A Chimney Inspection? - Kansas City Chimney Pros

The old saying goes “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”  This however is not always true with maintenance in your home.  Even if things are working properly, do not pass up your yearly inspection and sweep on your chimney.  If you sense a problem, it is important that you call for help before matters get worse.  To reach a trusty technician call Fluesbrothers Chimney Sweep.

What warning signs will your chimney give you that it needs help?

Cracks and mold build-up

Chimney Inspection in Overland Park KSWinter winds are harsh on your chimney’s structure from the frequent freezing and thawing or sleet and snow.  This will cause the caulk to crack and allow water to sit in.  This water can lead to mold in less than 48 hours.  Luckily, the mold can be removed before it spreads to the rest of your home.  A professional should do this since many chemicals are used.

Your chimney starts to smell funny

When creosote is released from the firewood it will work its way up the chimney and begin to clump together.  When temperatures warm up and become humid these clumps will start to smell.  If you have a sweep in time, the clumps can be removed.  However, the longer they sit the more the particles can soak into your structure and leave a permanent residue.  Lastly, these blockages can cause draft problems in which the smoke cannot escape the home properly.  Other than odor, this can cause an increased risk for carbon monoxide poisoning.

How do you know you are hiring the right person?

You need to make sure that the person doing work on your chimney is educated in their field.  Try asking for references from family and friends, or online websites.  The Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) also has a few suggestions on how to hire the best for your chimney.  Check how long the company has been in business and what they can offer you that other companies cannot.

How do you get your chimney ready for the inspection?

When preparing your home and chimney, make sure you have a space for the technicians to work.  Also, have your pets locked away.  The most important thing to remember is to refrain from burning any fires for at least 24 hours to allow the unit time to cool down.